Friday, November 27, 2009

My first thanksgiving without family had family

So as far as I can tell, I have been extremely fortunate in the fact that I have always been able to share the holidays with lots of my family. This was my first thanksgiving without any family in the sense of parents, cousins, grandparents and siblings. Even though I miss all of them a lot (I really do miss my family) I managed to have a really good time thanks to BOSN who is the officer of deck force.

He invited every one from the ship over and about 20 were there. It was for starters a beautiful, warm and welcoming house. The best house in Cordova I have seen since I got here. There was a big screen t.v. in the living room that was playing foot ball games and several tables put together to feed about 18 or so people.

It was pretty typical with many of the men drinking beer and watching the football game and the wives making the meal. BOSN was very much like my own dad being a very good and busy host, he kept a warm fire going and took his time to talk with everyone making it a very welcoming enviorment. He even managed to cook some of the food on the grill outside. Of the three or so football games on that day none of them were really close. Not that I am a football buff (because I am not) but it seemed like the games were over in the first half.

After dinner several people continued to watch the football game but I didnt. I was too busy playing some intense games with Jackson. Jackson is a charming young boy who also happens to be BOSN's son. These games were SORRY and TROUBLE. I think that it would have been funner with some more people but it was still pretty much a good time dueling with him over who could roll the higher numbers quicker (With only 2 people you just try to get home A.S.A.P. and dont really have to worry about him hitting you).

After some "motivation" by the women we all left the house and shot some "gernade shells" that BOSN offered. I had the honor of firing the second shot and it was pretty fun. They were shells that are desgined to scare ducks, or bears or whatever you were trying to hunt. We then went back inside and finished off some deseret.

So on behalf of everyone who made it to BOSN's house I say thank you for a great thanksgiving. It was truly better then what I thought it was going to be and for about those 8 hours I didnt think of my family once because you and my fellow shipmates are another family to me and I am very proud to say it.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post, Nathan! And we are so glad that you got to have Thanksgiving with your Coast Guard family! If you can't be with us, it's nice that you could all be together there! Were there a lot of people there, like you, who were having the first or second Thanksgiving without their families?

    It was nice of him and his wife to have everyone over, and a great way to get to know your shipmates better, too. Did your roommates attend?

    Ok, now we're waiting for PICTURES!! :) Remember, they don't have to be your house/room - they could be of Japan, or Russia, or your ship! It will all be new to us!

    We love you lots and lots!!

    Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete